17.6.09

Home PC is dead!

And as if my evening wasn't frustrating enough my home PC has died a death. It's quite old and has been dodgy for a while but as of today it hangs during boot up with no error messages. I can't even google the problem without errors. I've tried the usual stuff, safe mode, last known good start, etc but to no avail. I tried the recovery console and that was useless. I've done a chkdsk /R for good measure but nothing. So I tried a reinstall of the O\S over the top of the old version and now my computer keeps crashing with the blue screen of death. It's just not my day. Oh well!

4 comments:

  1. You really are having a bad IT day aren't you? Did the O\S disk not have a system restore option? Can you re-format the hard drive and then use your USB back-up to put back your docs? Do you have a RAID set up (i.e. can you remove a faulty drive and let the other take over until you get a new one?) Actually - why am I saying all this I KNOW you'll get a new PC and it'll be awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be looking for a new PC. Got any recommendations? I want something that's pretty good but quite cheap (say around £500). At least 3 CPU cores, 3 GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVD Writer, decentish graphics card\memory. Don't need Keyboard, Mouse and Screen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave this one is a bit out of your price range (£834) but have a look for fairly state of the art spec http://www.chillblast.com/product.php?productid=18840&cat=262&page=1 or you could try our friends at DELL http://search.dell.co.uk/1/3/core-i7-920-desktop from £679. I will get a quad core slightly cheaper but they are rapidly being replaced by the Core i7 processors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right then, after not very extensive research I have ordered myself one of these. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/161642. Should come tomorrow if ebuyer can be trusted. Fingers crossed!! There are of course much better PCs out there but this should cover my light home\family needs.

    ReplyDelete