27.3.10

Cambridge Park Run (Week 9)

Today was week 9 for Cambridge Park Run. After last week's PB of 22:53 I was keen to know whether I could improve once again. My problem this time was that I'd been for a 6 mile run and a 4.5 mile run during the week so my legs felt sore. The Achilles tendon injury was still nagging despite being much improved. During a quick warm up I became aware that I had some groin discomfort on the right side. I expect this was caused by walking with a slight limp while I've had the achilles problem. Anyway I wasn't hopeful for a fast time due to all of these leg issues. 

My strategy this week was to go out more slowly and either build my speed or at least sustain it. Last week saw a fast first mile and then increasingly slower 2nd and 3rd miles. My strategy paid off this week as I managed to get a new PB of 22:39 and with a much lower max heart rate than the week before. I was averaging 7:20(ish) per mile.

Something else I've neglected to mention is that for the past 3 weeks my wife has accompanied me to the Park Run. This week she smashed her PB by 3 minutes which was incredible. I'm very proud of her. She's training for the Race for Life again so the 5K Park Run route is an ideal training distance.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting stuff Dave. I never know whether its best to set out fast or gradually build up. Both have worked on occasions. I'd be interested to read more of your parkrun experiences. I have my own blog on parkrun if you are interested: http://parkrunfan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete